Archive for August, 2019

  • Herald Breakfast – November 15

    Date: 2019.08.16 | Category: 南京夜网 | Response: 0

    Weather:Sunny. Winds W/SW 15 to 20 km/h becoming E near the coast in the afternoon. Daytime maximum temperatures 26 to 31.
    Nanjing Night Net

    Trains: Buses replace trains between Scone and Maitland and some trains between Maitland and Telarah.

    Traffic:Upgrade works for West Gosford intersection. Access from Central Coast Highway into Dyer Crescent has been closed. Access to Dyer Crescent will be off Manns Road at Grieve Close via the recently constructed Link Road.

    There will be lane closures and intermittent traffic stoppages during off peak periods.

    Beachwatch:New south swell has hit and is consistent and powerful for its size. Conditions are semi clean with a bit of a raw lump in the swell. A lack of quality banks around town is seeing most sets closing out on the open beaches so it is worth checking the right hand points as they are the most reliable today. Winds to tend East during the day.

    Morning Shot: Instagrammer @noscrubs captured this morning shot of the city.

    Labor regains its heartland with Nuatali Nelmes as lord mayor:THE seismic shift of political power in Newcastle has been completed with Labor regaining control of Newcastle council in a crushing win at the weekend’s lord mayoral byelection.

    Fred Nile inquiry letter sparks blistering attack from Jeff McCloy:THE formidable stoush that has threatened to erupt for several months, has, with Christian Democrat leader Fred Nile in one corner and former Newcastle lord mayor Jeff McCloy in the other.

    Middleby pleads for supporters to forgive team:JETS chief executive Robbie Middleby hopes fans will give Newcastle’s players and coach Phil Stubbins a chance to redeem themselves but admits that ‘‘actions speak louder than words’’.

  • Goulburn cottages under the pump

    Date: 2019.08.16 | Category: 南京夜网 | Response: 0

    QUAINT: Clinton Cottage, a former private hospital at 90 Clinton St, is one of three houses proposed for demolition under plans for a 7-Eleven service station.GOULBURN could score another two service stations if plans before Council are approved.
    Nanjing Night Net

    Woolworths and 7-Eleven are proposing to build the projects on Hume St and Clinton St respectively.

    But the latter will come at the expense of three cottages, if endorsed. Accompanying documents describe 88 to 92 Clinton St as having low heritage significance and not “rare or threatened” in the heritage conservation area.

    Sydney based firm Isaac Property Developments has lodged the application on behalf of 7-Eleven Pty Ltd.

    Co-director Ben Isaac has a local connection as grandson of former long time real estate agent, Fergus Isaac.

    His father, Paul also developed the Argyle Mall (now Goulburn Plaza) 30 years ago.

    The company is building 10 other 7-Eleven outlets in regional areas, including Orange, Bathurst and on the south coast.

    “They have been looking for some time to establish in Goulburn because it’s a key market for them,” Mr Isaac said.

    “They identify the markets they want to be in based on convenience and location.”

    The building work, valued at $1.9m, includes eight fuel pumps under a canopy, a 173 square metre convenience store and underground petrol tanks storing a total 180,000 litres.

    It is proposed to operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with two staff employed. Isaac Developments settled sales of three cottages one to two months ago.

    “We were willing buyers and they were willing sellers,” Mr Isaac said.

    They would be bulldozed to make way for the service station, along with all existing trees and vegetation.

    Mr Isaac said his firm completed a heritage impact study at Council’s request. It found that developments in the area had already dwindled residential stock.

    “Demolition of the dwellings would not significantly erode the character or integrity of the predominant period housing stock within the heritage conservation area and given the highly eroded streetscape through previous unsympathetic demolition and development, demolition would not adversely impact on the cohesiveness or character of the established streetscape,” the document states.

    The study made no mention of the fact that 90 Clinton St was a former private hospital, known as ‘The Pines.’

    It was established by Dr Birmingham in the early 1900s, according to Stephen Tazewell’s ‘Grand Goulburn.’

    He had consultation rooms on the corner of Clinton and Bourke St and the nearby hospital was “a most convenient arrangement for him.”

    “The Misses McInerney ran The Pines for many years and may well have been the last,” the book states.

    “The hospital closed at the end of the war – about 1945.”

    Mr Isaac said the location was driven by the B4 Mixed Use zoning which permitted the service station. The council had not voiced any heritage concerns but had requested the study.

    None of the cottages are listed as heritage items in the Local Environmental Plan. But their location in the heritage conservation area demanded a higher level of consideration, Council’s development control manager Richard Davies said.

    Mr Isaac said he was happy to consider all issues raised in public submissions. The project also includes extensive landscaping.

    “We’re excited about doing something in Goulburn obviously because of the family ties but we’re looking forward to getting stuck into a development that will be good for the city and deliver jobs,” he said.

    7-Eleven Pty Ltd is a family owned company with more than 600 stores on the Eastern seaboard. Earlier this year it entered the West Australian market. If approved, construction of the Goulburn outlet would take four months and be operational soon after.

    But not everyone is happy. Mr Davies said several people had told him they’d be formally objecting.

    “It’s mainly on the basis of change of use and public interaction,” he said.

    “Being a late night facility, people are concerned about the impact from surrounding activities, including from intoxicated persons.”

    If submissions are received by the November 20 deadline, councillors will decide the DA.

    COUNCIL planners are likely to approve a second Woolworths Caltex service station in coming days.

    The grocery giant plans to build a $1.2 million complex on the corner of Ducks Lane and Hume St, beside Bunnings.

    Comprising a 280 square metre building, 80sqm café, kiosk, nine fuel stations and three underground tanks, the project is expected to capture trade from the nearby Merino service station.

    “Woolworths saw a lot of opportunity there,” landowner and director of Great Southern Developments, Rod Thompson said.

    “Their service station in town is quite small and hemmed in so they saw the chance to capitalise on highway trade and look after local customers at the same time.”

    Mr Thompson bought the land several years ago as part of a liquidation sale. Franchises, including 7 Eleven and Hungry Jacks, and childcare operators had expressed interest.

    Council’s development control manager Richard Davies said no public submissions were lodged.

    As there were no community concerns or variations from planning policies and government agencies had not objected, planners rather than councillors would determine the DA.

    Mr Davies said on Thursday this would occur in the next few business days.

    This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

  • Mother ‘numb’ watching footage of son being bullied and threatened with a knife in Ballarat

    Date: 2019.08.16 | Category: 南京夜网 | Response: 0

    A blurred screenshot from the video published online.
    Nanjing Night Net

    Source:The Courier, Ballarat

    The mother of a boy who was filmed being attacked by a group of Ballarat youths has said she was “numb” when she first saw the vision.

    Holly* was first notified via Facebook of the incident with a video showing her teenage son being assaulted and threatened with an unseen knife while other boys looked on and laugh.

    The video went viral online with it being shared internationally on Facebook and receiving more than 200,000 views with most viewers airing their support for the young victim.

    The Courier has chosen not to name the people in the video or the mother of the victim.

    Holly spent 15 minutes watching the three minute footage which was filmed in a Ballarat car park on Wednesday.

    “I felt numb and sick. Every time I watch it my chest tightens. He was trying everything to get away,” she said.”But I am proud of the way he handled himself.

    “Your kids should be able to walk around safe. Is he always going to have to look over his shoulder?

    “For them to be carrying knives, it’s part of their bullying tact. It’s terrible.”

    In the video, her son tries to resist attacks from a teenager almost twice his size who threatens him, demanding he give up his jacket.

    “Take your jacket off dog…take it off (expletive) or I’m gonna (sic) stab you with my knife,” the perpetrator says to the victim while holding him by his neck.

    The boy finally escapes while the bullies continue to laugh.

    Holly said she was overwhelmed by the torrent of comments and widespread attention the video had received.

    However, she wished no harm to the perpetrators in the video.

    “It really sickened me when people started posting the perpetrator’s house address online,” she said.”He (the perpetrator) doesn’t deserve to get bashed up, he obviously needs help.”

    Holly said her son was an “outgoing and adventurous” boy and hoped the incident would be a turning point in his life.

    “I don’t think he’s really come to terms with the severity of it,” she said.”He is an outgoing and adventurous child. The fact that he knew the kids bothers me.”

    Holly said one of the most disturbing aspects of the incident was the cruelty of the bullies.

    “It’s just awful. It seemed like normal behaviour to them, it was like a normal part of their day,” she said.”I’d hate to think about how many others they have done it to.”

    The Courier attempted to contact the perpetrators but were unsuccessful.

    Ballarat police have spoken to a number of people featured in the video which was posted to Facebook on Wednesday.

    No charges had been laid at the time of publication.

    A police spokesperson said the incident was subject to an ongoing police investigation and anyone with information is urged to contact Ballarat Police Station on 5336 6000 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

  • Fred Nile inquiry letter sparks blistering attack from Jeff McCloy

    Date: 2019.08.16 | Category: 南京夜网 | Response: 0

    Fred Nile, left, and Jeff McCloy.Source:Newcastle Herald
    Nanjing Night Net

    THE formidable stoush that has threatened to erupt for several months, has, with Christian Democrat leader Fred Nile in one corner and former Newcastle lord mayor Jeff McCloy in the other.

    The latter has broken his silence on the ‘‘aggressive, unsubstantiated and libellous’’ allegations made against him in the parliamentary inquiry looking at planning processes and decisions in Newcastle.

    Two weeks ago, Mr Nile sent a letter to Mr McCloy offering him the chance to respond to allegations made in submissions to the inquiry, including some from anonymous complainants.

    Read the full FredNile letter here

    Mr McCloy has responded in a blistering written attack on the inquiry, saying it was biased and acting on ‘‘innuendo, conspiracy theories or wild, unsubstantiated opinions and guesswork’’.

    Read Page 1 of Jeff McCloy’s response hereRead page 2 of Jeff McCloy’s response hereRead page 3of Jeff McCloy’s response hereThe Newcastle Herald has obtained copies of both letters.

    On November 6, Mr Nile wrote to Mr McCloy saying that 12 of the 350 submissions received included some comments of an ‘‘adverse nature’’ about him.

    ‘‘The committee has resolved to provide you with an opportunity to respond should you so desire,’’ Mr Nile wrote.

    Mr McCloy fired back with both barrels.

    ‘‘Given the passion in Newcastle around our city’s future, I’m surprised only 12 contained adverse comments,’’ he wrote. ‘‘I’d also be interested in the number of positive comments in the 350 submissions if you can provide that as well.’’

    Mr McCloy said that during his time as lord mayor he was ‘‘extremely careful to manage potential conflicts of interest’’ and that the 12 submissions containing ‘‘adverse comments’’ make ‘‘numerous incorrect, often defamatory conclusions and accusations about my actions’’.

    ‘‘None proffer any evidence that demonstrates I acted improperly, asked for any favours or did anything for self-benefit,’’ he said.

    He also attacked the inquiry’s decision to publish the defamatory submissions on its website that he said not only defamed him, but numerous others.

    ‘‘The publishing of these documents with their unsubstantiated conspiracy theories by a government entity such as yours gives the content gravitas they otherwise shouldn’t have,’’ Mr McCloy wrote.

    ‘‘Mud certainly sticks and your inquiry has had a hand in throwing it.’’

    A number of submissions published by the inquiry online contain serious and defamatory allegations. The inquiry has allowed people making some of the defamatory allegations to remain anonymous. It has stamped 21 submissions as confidential and suppressed the names of 51 different authors.

    Neither Mr Nile nor Mr McCloy could be reached for further comment on Sunday, but the inquiry will hold its second public hearing in Newcastle this Friday.

    It is understood that Mr McCloy declined an offer from Mr Nile to appear in person at the inquiry, but in his written response Mr McCloy said his public life ‘‘is now behind me and I have no interest in justifying my actions’’.

  • need2know: Slow grind higher

    Date: 2019.08.16 | Category: 南京夜网 | Response: 0

    Local shares, in line with their overseas counterparts, appear set to grind higher as investors this week await minutes from the latest central bank meetings in Australia, the UK and the US.
    Nanjing Night Net

    What you need2know:

    • SPI futures up 6 pts at 5475.

    • AUD at 87.64 US cents, 102.13 Japanese yen, 69.91 Euro cents and 55.86 British pence

    • On Wall St, S&P 500 flat, Dow -0.1%, Nasdaq +0.2%

    • In Europe, Euro Stoxx 50 +0.1%, FTSE +0.3%, CAC +0.4%, DAX flat

    • Spot gold jumps 2.3% to $US1188.75 an ounce

    • Brent oil surges 2.5% to $US79.60 per barrel

    • Iron ore slips 0.7% to $US75.47 per metric tonne

    What’s on today

    Australia motor vehicle sales; New Zealand performance services index, retail sales ex inflation; Japan GDP; US Empire manufacturing index, industrial production.

    Stocks to watch

    Coal miners, iron ore producers, banks.

    RBC Capital Markets has a sector perform on APA Group and a price target of $7.75 a share as it reviews the investment case leading into a potential BG LNG pipeline acquisition.

    Deutsche Bank upgraded Monadelphous to a “hold” on valuation grounds and has a target price of $11.43 a share on the mining services group.

    Currencies

    The RBA’s latest meeting minutes this week may prove another non-event for the currency, given policy expectations remain fairly well-anchored. A return to the recent lows near 0.8550 remains on the cards over the near-term, yet the driving force is more likely to stem from the US Dollar side of the equation, says David de Ferranti, market analyst at FXCM.

    The dollar index, which early on Friday touched a four-year high of 88.267 after a US retail sales report bolstered views of a strengthening US economy, was off 0.20 per cent at 87.497

    St Louis Fed chief James Bullard is sticking to his forecast of raising interest rates in the first quarter of next year, with rebounding inflation, strong jobs data and lower oil prices propelling a strengthening US economy.

    Commodities

    Brent crude jumped on Friday for its biggest daily gain in three weeks as support emerged a day after prices crashed to four-year lows below $US80, but analysts were sceptical the rebound would continue, citing concerns over oversupply.

    Hedge fund Paulson & Co maintained its stake in the world’s biggest gold-backed exchange-traded fund, SPDR Gold Trust, for a fourth consecutive quarter in Q3, when bullion prices fell on an improving US economic outlook.

    On the outlook for iron ore, RBC Capital Markets says: “We now forecast a 2015 average price of US$85/t, down from US$100/t. We hold prices steady into 2016 at US$85/t, down from prior forecast of US$95/t.”

    United States

    US stocks posted a fourth straight week of increases but ended Friday little changed as losses in healthcare shares offset gains in energy. For the week, the Dow and S&P 500 rose 0.4 per cent and the Nasdaq climbed 1.2 per cent.

    Retail sales, which account for about one-third of consumer spending, rose 0.3 per cent in October, the Commerce Department said on Friday. The gain was larger than analysts expected, and would have been higher but for a 1.5 per cent drop in receipts at gasoline retailers.

    Shares of Virgin America, a low-cost airline partly owned by Richard Branson, soared more than 30 per cent in their market debut, underscoring the buoyant mood in an industry that is emerging from a long spell of turbulence.

    Europe

    Sluggish economic growth in eurozone heavyweights Germany and France has weighed on the European single currency and the region’s stock markets. Nevertheless equities ended in positive territory on Friday.

    Official data showed France and Germany narrowly avoided a new recession in the third quarter, while the broader 18-nation eurozone also faces anaemic growth with just a 0.2 per cent expansion. Eurozone inflation came in at a low 0.4 per cent as expected.

    A controversial derivatives trade that has dogged Monte dei Paschi di Siena for years reduced its core capital by €411 million in a regulatory health-check of European banks, a document from the Italian lender showed.

    What happened on Friday

    A small rise in the Australian sharemarket on Friday wasn’t enough to prevent the market ending four straight weeks of gains, as energy, mining and banking stocks were sold off.

    On Friday, the ASX 200 ended a four-day losing streak, adding 11.6 points, or 0.2 per cent, while the All Ordinaries gained 10.3 points, or 0.2 per cent.

    Over the week, the benchmark S&P/ASX 200 fell 94.8 points, or 1.7 per cent, to 5454.3. The broader All Ordinaries dipped 88.3 points, or 1.6 per cent to 5433.8.

    This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.